Friday, August 11, 2006

All a Racquet- Parks Tennis Fun


I was delighted yesterday to take part in presenting the prizes for the Parks Tennis Summer camps up at Kilkenny Lawn Tennis club. In my time involved in community and political work, this initiative is one of the best I've seen. For just €15, chidren get a fotnight's coaching at venues all over the county. It's an attempt to bring what some might have seen as a slightly eleitist sport to everybody and to give chidren the basic skills. Well done to Catherine Dore who roped me into the Parks Tennis committee when I moved to Kilkenny, and to all the other voluntary workers on the committee. Yesterday saw almost 100 players take part in the county finals, and they will now go on to represent the county in the South East finals. Go n-eiri ádh leo.

No comments: